Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Latinos on the Map of the US Open



To all of my blog fans, sorry I missed last week. But if you know me personally you know that I wear a lot of hats. On a good note, I am following up with a great and very influential sports figure. Juan Martin Del Potro. He outlasted Roger Federer last night during the Men’s Finals during the US Open in New York City.



I was lucky enough to catch this great match because I had to take my car to the mechanic and they happen to have very beautiful 57'. plasma in the waiting area. The shop staff was pretty down and out when I arrived but I was able to “liven” it up with my cheering and yelling for Del Potro’s win. For those "Non Tennis" fans, you need to WATCH! This sport is very entertaining as you see the player’s passion that their faces reflect as they hit the ball across the court going at an average speed of 100mph.


So back to Del Potro because I’m not a sportscaster! He won his very first professional match, at the age of 15. He began playing tennis at the age of 7 with coach, Marcelo Gomez. He was then discovered by Italian ex-tennis professional Ugo Colombin, who accompanied him through the initial phases of his young career, and is still today his agent and close friend.



The match went to a 5th set and in Tennis that isn’t common. He won 2 sets, Federer the other 2 and was forced to go to a 5th. As soon as Del Potro made the breakpoint he couldn’t believe it. He dropped to the ground after cheering his win. Once he got up after realizing he won, he walked up to the bleachers and kissed and hugged his family, a perfect illustration of true love. By his win, Del Potro is the second only other Argentine to have won this title. Guillermo Vilas won this title 32 years ago.


After getting kicked out of the auto-shop while watching the game for 2 hours, I drove to a local lounge in Jackson Heights, Chivatazo. I had been there for the Brazil vs. Argentina soccer match where Argentina had lost. It was a great feeling to know that they won in the Us Open. I’m not Argentine but we all represent one race and that is Hispanics. Juan Martin Del Potro is another positive influence and represents us in a wonderful way.


Here is the link of his acceptance speech: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHsAX792PN0

4 comments:

Liz C said...

cool.... good to hear cause all I've been hearing lately is about Williams and her yelling tantrums- this is a good change!

Jessica Sanchez said...

Hahaha your right Liz... I'm so over that.. but it's been a while since we've had a "Macenroe" type hahaha.. you know people love the drama..

Francisco Sanchez said...

Once again we see the results from
perseverence,determination,and effort,this tenacity show us that everybody can do it.Good for Juan Martin,and good for great coment JESSY

Jessica Ramos said...

Thanks Cucho!!! I appreciate your support. Your my inspiration :-)