Tuesday, September 1, 2009

I Love New York!

I love New York City! I have lived in San Diego, Los Angeles, New York City, and currently Orange County but I love New York City the most!



San Diego is a gorgeous town with perfect weather, but I grew up in San Diego. So, I've gone to La Jolla, Balboa Park, Coronado, Del Mar and the Gaslamp hundreds of times. Not to mention the "World's Famous Zoo," and the "Home of Shamu"- I have all of the show's scripts memorized. Don't get me wrong, once you step outside of the tourist attractions culture is in the heart of San Diego. My friends and I decided we're tired of going to the same crowded, over-priced, non-entertaining spots. If you like boutiques, coffee shops, good food, dive bars, and art then I recommend checking out these areas in San Diego-North Park, South Park, Hillcrest, and Normal Heights.



Los Angeles is my favorite West Coast "material" city, but we can all agree traffic is annoying. I don't even know how many hours of my life I spent in traffic listening to the same songs over and over but one thing that LA knows how to do is shop. My favorite places to shop in LA are Abbot Kenny Blvd, Main St in Santa Monica, and the Promenade, oh you have to check out the Farmers Market. A drive down Sunset Blvd filled with expensive cars says "city of dreams." A hike to the the top of Griffith Park is breathtaking. Many young people move to LA every year in hopes of becoming a star and many settle because they find LA offers them something that they didn't have before like great food from China Town, an abundance of fabrics from The Fashion District, the opportunity to network in Hollywood. LA offers a little bit of everything for everyone.



Orange County is the perfect little city. Everything matches from the colors of buildings to dogs with matching outfits. It's absolutely stunning and beautiful but has very little culture.



I love New York City! In the city you meet people from all over the world. Next time you're in the city strike up a conversation with a NYer you might be surprised what you may have in common and you may actually learn something. I like New York because the people are smart. Time is precious and laying on the beach isn't an option. New York really goes by "play hard and work harder." A walk around the Met, reading on the subway, or a picnic in the park is a sense of relaxation. When you're in NY, stand stiil, slowly turn your body to a full 360 degrees, look around, everything is beautiful-the people walking, the high-rise buildings, the sun peaking in, the architecture, the history. Then close your eyes and listen to the conversations, the cabs, the wind. Smell the food, and depending on what time of year it is smell the rain, the flowers blooming, or the smell of autumn. I like New York because ideas are developed in basements, warehouses are turned into art galleries, concerts are played in theaters, advertising masters Times Square, and most of all, I believe the best in people comes out when we are forced to interact with each other on a continuous basis and experience so many backgrounds in doing so. It's almost like traveling the world in one central hub. I <3 NY is an iconic brand, people travel to NY everyday looking for this brand, an I <3 NY t-shirt gives them a piece of NY to take with them and besides who doesn't love NY?



Note: When I refer to culture I'm talking about what makes a particular city different from others, basically what is the cities culture as a whole and not necessarily independent cultures.

Monica Camacho, Strategic Planner

4 comments:

Mr. Ish said...

If you love New York, you should visit Paris, France.

Monica Camacho said...

I will visit Paris and France someday. I saw two I love New York shirts today in the office :)

Theresa Chaverot said...

Have fun NY in the summer time has nothing to envy Paris!

Unknown said...

I think Abbot Kinney is great too.
LOve NY and Paris, but Venice more.
And I like to find culture everywhere, so OC has it too:
the artists and fabulous galleries in Laguna Beach, the small museums in Newport and Balboa, South Coast Repertory and lots of small theaters with great plays like Laguna Playhouse and the one in San Juan Capistrano. The artists district in Santa Ana...Friendly places to try some new wines, fantastic shopping, etc.