Thursday, August 13, 2009

It's A Dog's Life


Advertising was not my first career choice. I was born and raised in Wichita, Kansas (not the hotbed of Advertising) and spent my first three years chasing after a plastic rabbit on a 5/16 mile course. I have to say, as a racing Greyhound, I had quite a successful career, winning 16 of 125 races, with 25 2nd place and 13 3rd place finishes…not bad, being in the money in more than 40% of my starts…but, I digress....

Retirement from the track meant entering into the service industry in another form. You might know that Greyhounds, being one of the oldest breed of dogs, have a universal blood type. Our blood can be used to save the lives of all breeds of dogs and as such, many of us find ourselves “donating for a living” so to speak. A noble cause, but not the life of excitement I was used to….

What does all this have to do with advertising???????? Well, following my three-year stint as a blood donor, I was adopted by my ‘forever owner’ who just happens to work at Casanova Pendrill!

Ever being the Greyhound who likes to try new things, I was excited about the opportunity to try my hand at a new discipline. While I had never written a media plan, sold in a creative idea or entertained a client, I felt my previous competitive experience combined with my years in public service should stand me in good stead.

So, three months ago, I accompanied Mom to the office to start my new career!

And what a three months it’s been! I’ve met so many great people (and yes, a few with A type personalities) who have a lot of energy (not as much as a Greyhound) and a passion for what they call “the Big Idea”. I’ve learned all about computers, copy machines, conference rooms and even the mysterious “black box” that voices come out of. I’ve also met other “advertising dogs” like Dama and Lola. I’m still trying to figure out the kitchen (slick floors) and how to leverage my best “I need love look” for maximum attention! And I'm looking forward to participating in my first IDEA BREEDING session!

I was thrilled when I was asked to blog for The Boarder. I think I can bring a distinct perspective to my responsibilities here and hope that all of the other advertising dogs will share their experiences as well!

Well, that’s all for this time…look forward to chatting again next week!

Right now, I’m off to a rep lunch......

George Jetson
Ex Racer, Retired Life Saver, Advertising Generalist

3 comments:

Norma F said...

Welcome to advertising! Hopefully you will enjoy it as much as we do. Don't look so excited though people might think you're having too much fun. ;o)

elias weinstock said...

You make us all happy George

Theresa Chaverot said...

George, you're the best! can't wait for next weeks blog!!