Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Border Angels


When I was told about the opportunity of writing in a Blog for Casanova I immediately thought, "Wow this is my chance to really share my ideas and show not only my coworkers but the world how I feel about the influence Hispanics have, not only in the United States but the World".

As I shuffled today to catch up after a very long time out on jury duty, I began brainstorming "What should I write about"??? I want my big debut to be a good one, and not sell myself short. So I reached out to Monica Camacho, our Blog Coordinator and colleague whom I have never met but have been in contact via email and Face book. I asked her, "Monica, I need some inspiration and unfortunately all I have to go by is the New York Latin Film Festival".

She then sends me an email that our President/CEO, Ingrid Otero-Smart sent to our counterparts in California on 'Border Angels' (http://www.borderangels.org/). Border Angels is a non-profit organization supporting humanity. The organization consists of extraordinary volunteers who want to stop unnecessary deaths of individuals traveling through the Imperial Valley desert areas and the mountain areas surrounding San Diego County, as well as the areas located around the United States and Mexican border. The high percentage of unnecessary deaths have resulted due to extreme heat and cold weather conditions, in addition some have sadly been the results of racial-discrimination crimes.

Border Angels receive donations of food, water and items needed for survival. After reading the email from Ingrid and how she wants to involve all of us in donating to this great cause on a strictly voluntary basis, this really hit home. See I am an immigrant, if you see me on the street you might wonder, what is her background?? But my father from Bogota, Colombia my mother from Medellin, Colombia and some German in the mix has made me a green eyed, blond Latina. You might not think by looking at me that I can relate to this subject matter but looks can be deceiving.

As I mentioned my father from Bogota, Colombia actually sacrificed his life for my family and I to come to this great country. He had the opportunity to be passed through "The Frontera" (The Boarder) in disguise as a Mexican and once he crossed the river or "El Rio" he would be put in a truck with illegal papers and crossed to California. Besides risking the possibility of losing us he risked his life! As many immigrants do on a regular basis for what they believe to be "A better life" here in the United States.

Knowing that an organization such as Borders Angels exists doesn't make me feel more at ease of the fact the many people die coming to the United States but shows me that we are united in so many ways and we can make a difference to help humanity as a whole. I have included a few images that were attached to the email from Ingrid. I hope they touch you as they have touched me. Also, to inspire you to support Borders Angels and ultimately to inspire you as it has inspired me to share this with all of you.










4 comments:

panyez said...

Great job on the write up!!!

Ramon said...

Great post. People are not demographics, statistics, targets, political topics, we are all after all people. Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

we all came to this country for a better life. we can not forget those who are still trying

Francisco Sanchez said...

GREAT TRIYING: THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IS THAT OTHER PEOPLE PUT THE HAND ON THEIRS HEARTS TO MAKE OUR VOICES BE ALL OVER THE PLACES.IT IS A GOOD ONE.YOUR DAD I AM PROUD OF YOU