Thursday, August 6, 2009

The 10 things to do as you plan for a summer vacation….with small children!

I have been waking up in the middle of the night for the past week due to the anticipated stress of traveling with my two lovely girls- my passionate observer and my energetic ninja. I’ll be air traveling from South Orange County to Chicago by myself with my two toddlers for a family event and the anticipation and stress for not having started to prepare is rising. I’m already imagining the angry passenger sitting next to me scolding me for letting my 16th month old kick and push his seat; or even my 3 year old screaming at the top of her lungs because her younger sister took off her crown. Promising… so, in order to ease some of my anxiety, I’ve decided to blog about it and write a top 10 list on traveling preparedness and even perhaps helping someone else in cyberspace who is also traveling under similar circumstances:

  1. Plan your trip around nap time or in the evenings. Yes, the probability of meltdowns increases when you’re closer to naptime but chances are that you’ll be already strapped to your seat when that time arrives. You might enjoy the first two hours of the trip with some peace and quiet; giving you plenty of opportunities to smile at your neighbors whom by the time your sleeping beauty wakes up, would be more willing to embrace the presence of your child in the plane.
  2. Target and 99 cent stores, here I come! Target has a dollar section right by the entrance of their stores and the 99c stores offer a good variety of trinkets or small toys that you can bring along and unveil along the trip to keep your kids entertained (best advice I’ve ever gotten and has worked wonder every time!)
  3. Pack for the plane according to your child’s interests. I know, sometimes you just grab whatever is at arms reach, who cares if they’re Legos, Play Doh or headless dolls. But what if you just happen to grab the items your kids are less interested in? Then you won’t be able to keep their attention away from tugging the t-shirt of the passenger seating next to your child, or from kicking the seat or playing with the food tray.
  4. Ask to be placed in a row where there are no other passengers. Airlines are usually accommodating to parents traveling with kid and will do everything in their means to keep your crazy toddler’s far way from single travelers. So do ask, chances are you’ll get lucky.
  5. Be prepared for the unexpected; yea, meltdowns can possibly occur at security check point. Has that ever happen to anyone? You’re about to cross security and your child starts kicking screaming that she/he does not want to get off the stroller nor separate her/himself from their favorite toy much less remove his or her shoes? Well if you can relate, the best way to get around this is to play a time game, use travelers on other lines as the target, tell your kids they’re racing against the specific traveler and whoever passes security faster gets a “reward”. It worked for me last time! Kids don’t really care what the reward is as long as it’s reward. Last time I had a Trader Joe’s sticker and a box of Juicy Juice handy and my daughter was super happy.
  6. Pack on light for your carry on. Yea, you do need toys, DVD player, special blanket, special stuffed animal… etc. etc. but did I say pack light for the plane ride? Try to fit as much as you can in your check-in back and keep only what you’re realistically going to use during the trip. Remove excess pens, unpaid bills, 3 month old uneaten animal crackers and all the stuff that really ads bulk and weight.
  7. Pack on snacks, preferably salty snacks like crackers, cheese, ham, water, milk… avoid sugar bombs or a combination of, for instance candy, chocolate, sodas. Too many sweets at the same time are just too much for your little ones to handle; remember you’re trying to keep them calm.
  8. Carry a light stroller. Your jogging stroller is probably your fave, but lets be realistic, pushing it in the middle of a crowded airport is no ones dream. Get a foldable easy to maneuver stroller; one that you can still carry or handle while you have your kids at large. They’re also great for carrying your carry-on should your child not want to sit on it
  9. Take a vacation before and after your vacation. How many times have we heard that people need a vacation after the vacation? It’s tiring traveling with kids! So I’ve decided that I’m treating myself to a massage before my trip and one after, I sure will deserve it! So find your perfect treat and go for it!
  10. Relax. Yep, I guess I should listen to my own advice but the more one stresses about it, the more difficult planning for the trip will be.

Now, there…. Here is my list and I already feel better about the whole trip. Now I’m just hoping I can take this list and have a tremendous success to report once I’m back.

Useful sites and or blogs to find out more on traveling with kids, tips, brands that are must when you travel etc.

Blogher

Todobebe.com (viva la famila)

Parenting.com

4 comments:

Jessica Ramos said...

Great tips Tere!!

Ramon said...

Wow, I would like to start my own Top 10, "Top 10 Signs You Need a Vacation from Advertising", let's skip 10 through 2, and get to #1: When you start referring to your kids as conceptual targets, such as "my passionate observer and my energetic ninja". Classic.

Unknown said...

and how about "taking a vacation without the kids"? although it took me many years to do so, I have a list of tips on how to prepare (and prepare them) for this

Norma F said...

Very good advice, thanks Tere. I've already implemented some of the ones you've pointed out and they have worked absolutely perfectly for us with our 4 year old son. This is a great list to keep on hand for those of us with young children.