Thursday, October 8, 2009

Why October Eleventh?

I was elated to read an email from my mom this morning. I have been quite fortunate of my mothers' attitude towards learning and interacting within cyberspace. She was an early adopter of online bill pay. Then she decided to go green and requested for paperless online bank statements. Now and again when I get melancholy, I send an invitation to video chat and vice versa. Therefore, when I received this email it was for lack of a better word "cool."

Son,

Since your birthday is coming up and you are always insisting I use the computer more often to get acquainted. I decided to write you an email reflecting on your birthday. I was pregnant with your brother Daniel and everyone was hoping that I had a girl. As for me as long as my baby was born healthy it didn't matter. Daniel was born, would you believe with his thumb in his mouth. I didn't get to see him with his thumb in his mouth, I just took their word for it. But, why would they lie, right? They said I must have starved him, because I didn't gain much wait. Then, I was pregnant with you. I got to pick your birthday, because I was going to have a c-section. I picked my wedding anniversary. Months went by and I got bigger and heavier. It's like you were always hungry. Your Dad said I was just making up excuses because I was feeling guilty about not eating a lot when I was pregnant with Daniel. Towards my eighth month, I actually had to put a baby's blanket around my neck to carry my huge belly, because it became difficult to walk. But, I still kept on eating. I continued to eat until I reached 200 lbs. My actual weight when I got pregnant with you was 128 lbs. Someone has a picture of me somewhere with my pregnancy. On my ninth month appointment with the doctor. He said that I could not have you on my anniversary because you were ready to come out, it would be dangerous for me and you, to leave you in there that long. Therefore, the doctor said for me to think about earlier date and he would be right back. I sat alone in the room thinking about it. The Lord chooses our birthday for reasons. Vicente was born on the same as my birthday, but, a different month. Daniel was born on the same day of my anniversary but a different month. So, I thought about and said why not pick the same day as your Dad. The doctor came back and asked me if I decided. I said yes on the same day of my Husband's birthday. Which would you believe that day was on a Saturday. He didn't do weekends unless they were the utmost emergencies. He said Friday would be fine. AND I SAID NO, YOU OWE ME THAT MUCH. So, you were going to be born on the same as your Dad different month but same day. And on that day, you were born and guess what, that's right, with your thumb in your mouth too. I was not allowed to eat on my surgery day. Would you believe I was hungry and so were YOU.

God Bless You

Love You

Mom

3 comments:

elias weinstock said...

love this entry!

Unknown said...

how very cute! cant wait to meet your Mom

Lamosk said...

Nice story and a funny coincidence!